Getting to Know the Raspberry Pi – Summer 2020 Mini-Course
This summer we will be hosting a mini-course on getting to know the Raspberry Pi. Students participating in the course will need a Raspberry Pi, Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, and the ability to connect it to a network.
Click the image to see the device we recommend. It may be purchased online from Amazon or at a retailer such as MicroCenter.
Any questions regarding the hardware necessary should be directed to Mr. Campbell via email (mrcampbell @ kellenberg.org).
It is important that students have all of the components necessary to get started which is why we recommend the Canakit. Note, in addition to the Canakit a student will still need a keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, and the ability to connect to a network (wired or wireless).
The topics we plan to cover in this mini-course are:
Week 1:Getting to Know you Raspberry Pi
Introduction to the Raspberry Pi and basic navigation of the operating system
- Turning it on / First Time / Operating System Selection
- Navigating the Environment
- Introduction to the Shell / Terminal
- Basic Network Introduction
- Enable SSH
- Navigating the File system, where to find important files
- Editing files / Editors.
Week 2: Hello, World – Quick Introduction to Programming
A very quick and high level introduction to programming and basic programming concepts
- What is programming?
- Input / Output
- Variables and Mathematics
Week 3: Build a Web Server
Install software necessary to build a simple website.
- Install webserver stack Apache, PHP, MySQL
- Write a simple HTML Page / Learn common HTML Tags
- Introduction to PHP / PHP Hello, World
- PHP implementation of Items from Week 2
- Introduction to Databases (Very High Level)
- Simple database interactions on our new webserver